The last time I dipped a model was back in 2010, and I could’ve sworn I was “done” with my Tyranids at that time. Sadly, I was mistaken, because GW released a Tervigon model in March of last year that made sure that I failed in that promise to myself. In order to do it right, I’ve been painting up a bunch of miscellaneous bugs I’ve acrued over the past year, and finally got around to dipping them over the Christmas holiday. In total, I vatted up the following models:
- 3x Tervigon/Tyrannofex models (magnetized, of course)
- 2x Malenthropes (cute models, not very effective in game)
- 2x (metal) gargoyles – to complete a squad of 10
- 2x Termagants – to complete a squad of 22
- 9x Termagants – to complete a squad of 22
- 20x Termagants – to complete a squad of 22
- 2x Biovores – to complete a squad of 3
- 1x Zoanthrope – to complete a squad of 3 / act as my Doom of Malan’tai (newer style model)
- 1-2x Aegis Defense Lines (depending upon how you look at it), complete with one quad gun
- A bunch of spare little arms/bits/gubbins
I thought I had more put together, but really I’m not sure what else I could possibly want. I don’t have any pyrovores, but I can’t see paying anywhere near GW prices on that, and despite the fact that it’s a weird looking model and has horrible rules, the prices of those things on Ebay are still too rich for my blood.
But I digress.
This post is just to say that I’m finally done dipping the lot, so I can now say that my Tyranids are completely painted. The above models all still need to be based, but that will come in time.
The two things different about this time and my previous dipping experiences are firstly that I no longer have my giant treadmill box that I used to use to keep paint splatter at bay. As a result, I had to go buy some plastic tarps to hang around the garage to ensure I didn’t get stain everywhere.
Secondly, I was dipping malenthropes, which had no easy way to hang, so I had to construct a ramshackle support out of 2×4’s and hung them from the support using fishing string. I must say that they came out surprisingly well.
Anywho, I’ll post pictures of the completed models after I get them based… another milestone down!