My previous post had me painting up some of the final models in my Zombicide board game, and this may prove to be the final post on the subject. If you’re not up to date on the subject, I spent a few months in early 2016 (can it really have been that long ago?) painting up a few hundred models for a board game called Zombicide. That included a great deal of Zombies, but also what appears to be about 72 character models as well.
Last post I explained that my goal here wasn’t to try to paint these to a super high standard, but rather to get a reasonable color match so that you could easily discern which figure was yours during the game. This time around, I wound up painting up the Snipers & Handymen, and I think I kind of failed at my original goal.
Granted, I think with both sets of figures, you can tell who they’re supposed to be. The colors are roughly matching, but rough is the right term. It was really the greens that did me in, because I tried to paint their greens with a custom paint I had made before labeled as “ammo can.” My thought was that it was reasonably close and it would work as a color for fatigues. Clearly, it’s passable, but it’s not remotely close to the right shade of green from either picture.
Still, I think you can easily tell, based upon the hats and models’ stances, which models are which.
The eyes on the handymen give them a distinctly Anime vibe, but I’m not exactly sure why that is. Anime figures have large eyes, so that makes sense–but I had even larger eyes on the gunmen, and they didn’t have that same feeling to me.
So yeah, they’re not perfect, but these are glorified equipment cards for a game that rarely see the table (though we do play Zombicide with some level of frequency, these particular cards are a bit of a rarity). They also served as a little inspiration to get me into painting again–and maybe as a gateway to playing 40k one day. I think in that regard, I can call these guys a success.