This week, I inadvertantly wound up taking a break from painting my army, and wound up painting a piece of terrain. It started when I sat down to paint my Ultramarine bastions, but realized that I’d never painted statues before, and wanted to practice a little before I committed to painting them.
It was at that point that I’d remembered I’d gotten two sets of “Honoured Imperium” for Christmas last year. For those of you not fully versed in GW’s naming schemes, that’s the boxed set of terrain that came with a single large space marine statue, a broken up Imperial Aquilla, and a small piece of what appears to be a fallen chapel. I originally asked for these for Christmas because I’d seen a post by Brian over at A Gentleman’s Ones, where he’d painted up a couple of these. That post alone was enough to inspire me to “purchase.”
Now, I’m not one for weathering much (or at all, really), so it was a little surprising about how moved I was by Brian’s verdigris/patina effect. For whatever reason though, I just had to buy them, and now, a little over a year later, I’m finally painting them.
Ermmm… now that I’m thinking about it, maybe it’s been two years since I got these for Christmas?
No bother, the important part is that they’re painted.
For painting scheme, I vaguely followed the instructions Brian put forth, and substituted whatever I had on hand, or thought would work better. Also, since I’m not traditionally fond of weathering, I figured I’d do a much more subtle version of the verdigris effect (not to slight Brian’s work, as it’s fantastic, but I wanted the original bronze to show through). The colors that went into painting the statue were as follows:
- Primed: Black
- Basecoat: GW Tin Bitz
- Heavy Hightlight: P3 Blighted Gold (by the way, I just purchased this, and love this color)
- Wash: GW Orc Flesh Wash
- Touch-up: Blighted Gold
- Edge Highlight: P3 Brass Balls
- Targeted Washes: GW Chestnut Wash & GW Green Wash
Most of the paints are the older style GW (circa 1994 or so), but the colors don’t seem significantly different than the more recent paints, so you should be able to copy this effect if you’d like. Really, I’m posting the formula so I can recreate it for the next time I do statues.
I was pleased with how he turned out (although I had more than one comment while I was painting them that after I’d apply another coat of paint, the onlookers couldn’t tell the difference between the before and after). Still, I think it’s a passable attempt at Bronze/patina. Technically speaking, I’m not sure how accurate the colors are. Rushputin, over at The Warpstone Pile, pointed out that the outside faces of a statue would most likely face the extreme weathering first, so it would stand to reason that the greenish effect would be more accurately represented with a drybrush.
But I digress. With the statue painted, I only had the base left to do. I could’ve easily gone with a generic stone (which is really the standard for me), but I wanted to take the opportunity to try another new technique and try to paint some marble.
I did some searching around the web and came up with a few tutorials on how to achieve the effect, and decided that my favorite was over at Hot Lead. The end effect wasn’t as nice as on some other sites, but there was a very good write-up and large pictures that made it easy to make out. Again, I didn’t follow the instructions verbatim, but used his tutorial to learn the necessary techniques.
- Basecoat: Black (had to clean-up all of that bronze spill-over)
- Stipple: GW Dark Angels Green mixed with black
- Stipple: GW Dark Angels Green
- Stipple: GW Dark Angels Green mixed with GW Jade Green (with a small smattering of black)
- Stipple: GW Jade Green
- Stipple: GW Jade Green mixed with FolkArt Enamels – 4019 “Fresh Foliage”
- Lines: White mixed w/ water
- Lines: White
With each of the stippling layers, I painted a little less than I did on the previous layer, which allowed some of the darker colors to still show through in the final product. When it came to the lines, the tutorial suggested using a feather, but I had none handy, so I just used a paint brush. I applied the white mixed with water at first to make the lines fainter and thicker, and then went over with plain white in areas to give it better definition.
When it was all done, I went and hit the entire model with 5-6 coats of a matte varnish. Normally I’m not so aggressive with sealent, but I figured these were terrain, and would more likely be handled by more people, and probably with less love than they’d do their own models. The extra varnish was just to help them stand up to extra abuse.
After that, I hit them with some brush-on, water-based, high-gloss varnish around the marble. The hope was to give the stone a nice sheen and make it seem more like real marble. I think the effect worked out rather nice.
Anywho, that’s that. I find the interesting part about this is that I set out to learn how to paint bronze, but wound up finding a good recipe for marble as well.