So this is my third (and final) post on the series. For those of you who didn’t catch my earlier posts, you can see them here and here. I’m recapping the various buildings I own, and elaborating a little bit as to what went into them.
For those that are interested in how I achieved the various effects, you can find out more about them at the following links:
Otherwise, I’m just going building by building, giving them a kitschy name and telling a little story about them. So, here goes…
I was originally going to call this “half door” because I lost part of the hinge and had to glue half of the door shut, but then I thought “Wow, I’m really scraping the bottom of the barrel on this one.” Blood stain is a little better, though it doesn’t quite capture the essence of the building. It does, of course, have a blood stain right on the marble.
I’ve talked about how to achieve this blood effect before here. It’s an older style from before GW came out with it’s new technical paints (which I still haven’t tried). Anywho, I went ahead and painted a blood splotch on the marble, in the hopes that it’d stand out a little more than elsewhere on the piece. Since I did it near the edge of the floor, I wound up painting it as if it leaked down to the bottom floor and is soaking into the ground.
Now that I look at it, this particular building contains pretty much all of the special effects I used on my terrain this year (except for stained glass, of course): Rust, Marble, Blood, OSL, & Posters. There’s even a little patina on one of the brass-etched signs. It really does have it all.
Another building, another lame name. And again, it’s sad because I’m rather fond of this one. This was one of the first buildings that I used the rust effect on, and it stands out rather well at the top of the building.
By the way, people have asked me if I like the GW buildings or the Pegasus hobby buildings better, and I think the answer is that I prefer the Pegasus buildings–if you also have the GW ones. What I mean by that is the size and openness of the Pegasus buildings is great, but they are rather plain. Adding some leftover details from the various GW kits really makes them shine though. Without the leftover parapets from my GW kits, these would look pretty blah. But little additions like those, and an occasional light fixture really help to make them shine.
Another addition that I threw in to several of these buildings were some old GW ruin kits. For those of you who have been playing in in excess of a dozen years, you may remember the 3rd edition starter box came with some plastic ruins. I wound up incorporating them into these buildings to give them a stopping point without eating up too many extra wall sections. I really like how they blend in–to me, they’re not immediately noticeable.
As a side note, I have like 20+ sets of those jungle trees still on the sprue as well. Someone out there really should trade/buy them from me…
For two buildings I wound up using a bit of foam board to give them roofs. For some reason, both of them really look like chapels to me. I decided to dub this one the chapel because the other had a more obvious name (see below), but I could’ve just as easily called it “Back to the Future” (for the giant clock on the back of it). I really like how the roof turned out, but at the same time, I’m also glad I didn’t use the effect more extensively. I think it might look overdone if I used it much more, and besides, it can be difficult to reach under and move models around.
This is one of the few buildings that I used the OSL effect for fire instead of just for the lights. I did the flame effects first, and it was too watery, but I feel that worked to my advantage. Coincidentally, both of these “chapels” that I did have figures from–as luck would have it–the Warhammer Fantasy “Chapel” model.
Or maybe that was intentional, because I felt they looked like churches and those often have large statues inside them?
So this is “chapel #2.” If you look at the various photos, I think you can agree that it’s a rather fitting name. When I painted it up, it actually had a brass etch Ultramarine symbol on the back side of it, but when it came to affixing posters, I felt that I just had to put the “starbucks” logo somewhere, and that seemed like a pretty perfect fit.
The logo actually says “Imperial Best Recaf Station.”
Otherwise, this has all of the same effects as the other chapel above. Another part I should probably mention eventually is the inclusion of bass-wood for the floors. Since the Pegasus buildings don’t come with much in the way of floors (just the four marble floor sections), I had to find another solution. So, I went to Michael’s and picked up some bass-wood to use. For those that haven’t used it before, this is essentially the same as balsa wood, except a whole lot sturdier. Think of it like a really small/thin sheet of plywood. After scuffing them up and using a few supports from the GW buildings, I think they make decent additions.
So, I’m calling this one Notre Dame because the front façade really reminds me of that iconic church. Granted, it’s nowhere near as massive or ornate as the real thing–nor was it modeled after it either), it just has a nice opening up top with an open double-door that makes it seem fairly majestic to me.
I don’t think there’s anything particularly impressive about this paint job and it doesn’t seem to include any tricks that I didn’t include/explain in my other buildings, so we’ll leave it at that. It’s just a cool looking building, but ultimately nothing special.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, concludes my recap of my buildings. Again, if you want to see more, I’d encourage you to check out my earlier posts here and here that talk about the first ten buildings I did. As always, thanks for dropping by…