When we last left off on my Knight Titans, it was back in June and I was still working on the knee-caps. It’s been more than two months delay since then, but a lot of things have happened. First of all, the Apoc game that was the initial inspiration for these models transpired (though I still haven’t finished the write-up on that), and then some family time, vacation, etc.
Heck, 8th edition came out since then! I spent more time writing up battle reports for that then I did focusing on my Knights. Plus, I had started a series of reviews on the Tyranid index in 8th edition (that was back before I learned that they were going to immediately replace it with a codex, which has put the reviews to date on ice).
Well, hopefully I can get back on track and catch up with some of these missing posts. Luckily, I left myself a bit of an outline to cover the various progress steps I had made. Next in line: Gold.
For anyone who has seen my armies, you’ll notice that I don’t incorporate a lot of metals into the schemes. This is, in part, due to the fact that Tyranids have no metals, and my Ultramarines follow a 2nd edition yellow scheme. But, since I was painting my knights as if they were from House Terryn, it meant that I was going to have to mix a little gold into the palette.
My typical gold scheme is to paint a base of Brazen Brass (or, if you’re not a dinosaur like myself, Vallejo’s “tinny tin”) and then highlight up from there. In this instance, I opted to try something a little different. Instead of starting with Tinny Tin, I gave it a coat of P3 Blighted Gold and gone over the recesses with a mixture of that paint and black (watered down). This gave a similar effect, but it kept everything in the gold scheme. From there I highlighted up to P3 Brass Balls (which is my normal highlight for gold).
In effect, this just gave me darker darks, which really helps to make the gold stand out (well, at least it does in my opinion). It almost looks like I went overboard with the black, which I think was likely because I was painting in a room that wasn’t particularly well lit, but in hindsight, I really do like it.
The edge highlighting with Brass Balls is a little stark, and a little sloppy, but the contrast against the black really helps it to stand out. From a distance, the gold on the models really pops.
There was a non-trivial amount of gold to paint though, and I took a surprising number of photos (more than I can sensibly use within this blog post), so I’ll just pick a few that I think show off the effect best, and then scrap the rest.