Yup, that’s the title I went with. “Kneeding Closure.” I was trying to come up with a suitable knee-related pun, but now think that the extraneous “K” might come across as a Knight related pun. In the realm of Dad jokes, that really is a two-for-one.
If you haven’t guessed, this post is going to be on the knee-pads of my knights. It might seem odd to do an entire post focused on just their knees–especially because I’m not particularly known for doing WIP posts at all, and to date I’ve milked these guys for four posts already (and trust me, there are probably half a dozen more where that came from).
I’ve decided to stretch this out because these guys are taking a long time, and I’ve actually been taking more work in progress photos throughout the process. My goal on the photos hasn’t been to create content for the blog, but rather to send them to my friends in the hopes of inspiring them to paint things up for our next Apoc game (spoiler alert, that actually just happened last weekend–expect more posts on that to come up soon). I’m not sure how much it really inspired people to paint, but me talking about it and sharing progress truly does help me to keep motivated to finish the project.
They’re not an overly interesting part of the model, but they’re significant because they’re really the first time I played with many of the base colors that would be dominant through the figures. My last post on the subject covered that I had already committed to going with House Terryn, so I knew that the scheme was going to be primarily blue, red, and white (maybe I should’ve saved this post for Independence Day?). With the basic idea of the colors chosen, I needed to figure out what shades I was going to use.
If you recall, my goal was to make them look relatively cohesive with the Ultramarines units I already have, but also to make then distinct enough that you could tell they’re from a different army altogether. With the blue, I opted to shade them darker than I have with the normal boys in BLOO, so I took the same tact with the red, adding black into my base mix to give it a more stark contrast.
Searching online, it appears that House Terryn, like most knight households, seems to use a lot of checkerboards and other classic heraldry from medieval times. I suppose that makes sense, given that they are knights afterall. I’ve had some practice with checks and the like because I used to have a Harlequin army (actually, I’ve owned several over the years, all of which predate my blog entirely), and to a lesser extent, with my Ultramarines.
I tried to find some photos of the checkers on the marines, but there really isn’t a lot there. I don’t know why I’ve been so remiss with posting pictures of the BLOO. I really need to get better at that. You can see at least a glimpse of some of the checks on one of my dreadnoughts in this battle report.
With the marines, I’ve traditionally shaded the white with blue. It works great, and keeps a consistent theme going, however, for these guys I wanted to go with a brown shading. I’d done brown as a shade for white years ago, but it’s not something I’ve revisited in a long time. The basic recipe isn’t anything terribly fancy: paint white (in multiple layers because white is finicky that way), and then paint the edges with bleached bone (or, in my case, a craft paint equivalent), and shade with GW’s old flesh wash.
For the checks themselves, I marked them off with a micron pen and painted them in. In retrospect, that black really could use a little highlighting as it’s too flat for my likes. Oh well, a painter’s work is never done…
I’m going to take a break from the Knight Titan WIPs for a while and work on a recap of the Apoc game, but I’ll come back and revisit these afterwards–likely starting off again with my new recipe for painting gold…