With an impending Apocalypse game as my inspiration, I needed to find something to work on for the game. As I said in my previous post, I’m not exactly sure what army I want to play–but I am certain that I need to make some hobby progress, so I grabbed the nearest thing to me, an Imperial Knight, and started working on it.
My first issue was that I wanted to reposition the legs, so I delved into the depths of the internet for just how to accomplish that. With a little digging, I found a blog series by Quindia Studios on how he used a jeweler’s saw to reposition his legs, so straight to Amazon I flew. About $20 later and two weeks later, I wound up with a saw in hand and got to hacking.
Note: I say “about $20,” but if you know my blog, you can always go check up on my Frugal Gaming page to keep me honest. In this case, it was $18.08.
Anywho, with the saw in hand, I got to work. When I opened it, I noticed that it was very slimy, as if coated with fresh oil. I found it unappealing and had to wipe the whole thing down before using it. The saw blades that came with it were tiny and a little fiddly, but they worked like a charm.
I started by assembling the legs first, so that I would reduce the number of cuts by 50%–and that seems like the right thing to do, even in hindsight. Cutting through the leg joints was amazingly easy, and I only had trouble with one of the knees (remember: I did two knights, so four knees total).
When I stayed focus, I could saw through a single leg in under a minute with relatively little issue. The one time I wasn’t really paying attention though, the saw seemed to take an awful long time, and far more work than the other cuts. Well, that was because I had inadvertently slipped the blade down the leg slightly and was cutting into the “gear” of the knee and not just the small crevasse. Thankfully the blade is rather small and I’m not terribly picky, or this would’ve been a real problem.
Like in Quindia’s post, I used a spacer to cover the hole left in the leg and provide a little extra depth (not shown in the photo). Sadly, I also ran into a problem with the ankle joints caused by repositioning the legs. But more on that in another post…