As you probably know, I’ve been working on my Genestealer Cult as of late. To date, I haven’t had time to make the progress that I wanted to because I wound up flying out of state for a conference. Well, now that I’m back, I’ve finally gotten to look at my copy of the codex and try to figure out what it is that I should be painting so these guys can see the tabletop sooner–rather than later.
One area where I know that I’m derelict is in characters. While the list doesn’t technically have to have an HQ (if you’re running a Decurion style detachment, it’s not a requirement), there’s no way I’m going to run a list without them. I’m not used to having cheap units as HQ’s–much less ones that are effective! You can bet your bottom dollar that I’m going to be running some HQ’s in my lists.
Luckily, the Deathwatch Overkill box comes with one of each type in it–and you know me, I’m always buying more than I need. So now I have three of each character. Well, plus what I had laying around. I dusted off some of my old models in my collection, grabbing a Broodlord from Spacehulk, and three more Magi from the days of Rogue Trader (yes, I know there are only two pictured, but trust me, I found a third). I also have the extra Primus characters from the boxed set, but I’m frankly not in love with their rules, so I didn’t bother to assemble more than the one I have already. Maybe they have other weapon options as well that I can tinker with? Otherwise, I’m not sure assembling them is worth my time.
For the Magi, there wasn’t much in the way of dynamic posing–aside from slight head tilts, so they look the same. I wanted to make the primarchs look at least a little different though, so I wound up cutting one of them completely off his pipe and putting him on a fallen pillar I had laying around. I’m pretty sure the pillar is from a Lord of the Rings figure (or at least one of their terrain sets) that I picked up along with someone’s army back in the day. It was too big, so I had to cut the end off and replace it with a blob of green-stuff. Likewise, I didn’t want his arms to be a complete match to the other patriarch, so I wound up repositioning them slightly.
For the fourth patriarch (not pictured), I figured he wouldn’t see the table all too often, so I left him on his pipe and swapped his arms from front to back. Sure, it’s a little off-putting if you know what you’re looking at, but it helps the arms look a little more dynamic without being terribly obvious.
I also found a baggy full of familiars as well. I had been collecting these from the days of 6th edition and was joking going to use them as Ymgarls (their diminutive size explained why they could seem to spring from out of nowhere). Since I’m painting up the other guys, I figured I might as well work on these as well.
The only other models (besides Primuses) that I’m not working on are some of the older metal hybrids. I probably should be painting them too, and maybe I will, but I would rather focus on models with heavy weapons/metamorphs/etc if I’m working on my hybrids. For now, I’m going to focus on the characters…