Dreadtober is a nice way of saying “let peer pressure tempt you into painting something–even if you would rather be painting Genestealer Cult.” In previous years, I never let this sway me, but this year I figured why not? It’s a good thing to inspire people to paint things. Most years, I would probably not be painting anything, so keeping the movement going so that I get off my duff and paint something is a good thing. Sure, this year, it distracted me from what I want to do, but next year I’ll probably find myself twiddling my thumbs again in dire need of inspiration.
So, in case you haven’t been following my progress, my Dreadtober project this year has been a contemptor dreadnought with Kheres Assault cannons. I’m happy to say that, as this point, he’s finished.
Well, at least he’s finished with the paint job. The base will have to come later.
As always, I went with a fairly classic 2nd edition scheme. If you don’t know me, it’s because I started this army back at the beginning of 3rd edition after having played basically every army in 2nd edition. I settled on Ultramarines as my army long-term because they were effectively the worst Space Marine army in the game. Every other chapter got entire codices of special rules, and Ultramarines got one or two special characters (who were frankly, not very good). I adopted the army as my own and started painting them up in the classic scheme. And the rest is history…
I typically paint my dreadnoughts as 2nd company units, so they match the rest of my army. For my contemptor, I figured he was fairly elite, and I wanted him to be a member of the first company. With that in mind, I needed to have white accents on the model, but I didn’t want to eschew the yellow scheme entirely (after all, he had to tie in to the rest of my army someway, right?). That’s where the yellow chest eagle came from.
I’m certainly pleased with him overall. I could’ve done better in parts, but I have no problem saying that he’s at least table-top quality. In fact, the only area where I find myself kicking myself is in the scroll work.
Normally I would tackle scroll work with a Micron pen. So, when I found myself finished with the purity seals and other parchment, I reached for my pen–but it was nowhere to be found. Instead of using the 01 pen, I grabbed the next one in the box: the 03. I figured, how much different can it be?
Well, as you can see, you can still read the letters, but they’re larger and more blocky than I would prefer. I really should’ve waited until I could find the other pen (or even gone out and bought another). But I guess it’s incidents like this where we learn these things). Take it from me: a 03 Micron pen is not the same as an 01.
I also noticed that I wound up (apparently) gluing his knee pads on upside down. When I was scouring the internet for color scheme ideas, it seemed that most (if not all) other contemptors have their knee pads reversed. I know I tried that position when assembling him, but it didn’t look right. I actually like the way this looks though, so I’m not at all unhappy with the finished product.
So that will just about wrap up Dreadtober 2016 for me. I know that there are some other magnetized weapons I could be working on (and maybe I’ll get those done before the end of the month), and I also wound up cleaning up my Deredeo as well, so maybe he’ll see the painting table before too long.
But for now, I’m really going to try to be focusing on my Genestealer cult. Since I have this rule that models need to be painted before they see the table, I want to get a coat on those guys so I can start shaking things up in my local gaming group.