Well, it’s Dreadtober, so I figured I really should be working on a dreadnought (despite the fact that I really want to be working on my Genestealer cult). My plan was to actually do a little bit of work on my dread and a little bit on my cult and that way I could alternate posts between them; however, because of the way Joe is releasing updates on the weekend, I figured it would be prudent to get ahead of the game.
What I mean by that is that his posts go live on the weekend, and I was planning on posting my updates on Mondays. What that means is that when his post goes live, my post hasn’t, so any link I give him just doesn’t work until Monday. While the point of this blog isn’t exactly to drive traffic (more so to inspire me to make progress and give me a yard stick that I can measure by over the years), it doesn’t hurt to have other people interested. After all, when people come by and post feedback, it does help to keep me inspired (by the way, thanks to everyone who does read this blog and comment from time to time).
I’m not exactly following the weekly breakdown, but I’m coming relatively close. The first week was supposed to be about assembly; the second is about blocking in colors. Luckily, that’s as far as I got when I started snapping pictures, so I guess I’m on par for the course. The following week is supposed to be about working on the base (which I don’t plan to do at all–at least until I work up the gumption to base the rest of the backlog that has been piling up). And the final week? I’m supposed to finish painting.
I figure after blocking in the color this week, I’ll probably be finished with the model so I can show the “completed” figure (sans base) next week, and possibly end the month on some extra magnetized weapons.
As for the color blocking, it’s not perfect, but you’ll get the idea of where things are supposed to go. Anything that is deep red will be red, and anything that is orange will be yellow (this might seem weird, but I build up my yellows starting from Blood Angels Red, then Bad Moon Yellow, then an Orange Wash, More Bad Moon, and then topped with Sunburst).
Yes, I know those are older colors that aren’t made any more, and honestly I don’t have half of those pots these days, but I’m using the equivalents from Vallejo. On occasion, I take it one final highlight mixed with yellow, but I’ve pretty much stopped doing that. If you want to see what the output looks like, you can check out my Imperial Bastion or Aegis Defense Line. I tend to get a lot of flak for going that bright, so I’m toning it down a bit.
Well, that’ll do it for this week. Like I said, next week I expect to have this guy completed, and then it’s on to my cult!