I used to do a lot of work on the website behind the scenes. In fact, I did enough of it (and blogging about it) that I had an entire category of posts on it. Since moving to a free wordpress.com account for the blog, I haven’t really done much–if any–updates. As a result, things have stayed the status quoe for the last three years. Due to a couple of notices I’ve gotten as of late, I’ve done a little house-cleaning and thought I’d document the changes I’ve made:
Domain Name Issues:
Well, every once in a while you have to clean house a little, so I made a few updates. The first was easy: my annual renewal for the domain name warhammer39999.com came up, and though I don’t host the blog directly there anymore, I do direct traffic through it, so I renewed it for another two years (updated, as always in the Frugal Gaming totals).
While checking on that, I realized that the root of the domain went to a parked godaddy advertisement, and not to the blog as intended. If memory serves, this was due to a limitation of how things worked back in the day. Somewhere between WordPress, Godaddy, Blogger, & Google Apps, I wasn’t able to make the root of the domain worked. Luckily, I’d forgotten that it was “impossible,” and set about to fix it. Something had changed since the original implementation and after several attempts and a few calls to Godaddy, we were able to get the domain forwarding in place without breaking the other services assocaited with the site. So, now when you go to the root, you actually get my blog, and not the Godaddy ad that’s been blocking my traffic for three years.
When I hosted the site myself, I used to measure traffic with the use of a StatCounter account. Well, this past month I got an email from them that indicated that my free account was full and that I’d have to move to a paid account to keep utilizing their service. Since moving to the wordpress.com account, I’m not using their service anyway, so I wound up logging in and deleting the account altogether.
But not before I poked around a bit.
I did find my old stats for page views and visits, and it was great to see how much traffic I was getting back then. In the year (which was really just a few months), I got almost 5,000 unique visits, which climbed to 32,000 by year two, and then 35,000 by year three. Year four is when I transitioned to the free service, so the numbers drop off sharply.
The numbers get skewed at that point, since I switched to a different provider and an altogether different means of tracking. According to wordpress’s metrics, my numbers dropped sharply at that point from 35k+ visitors to just 2,000 for 2012, and then they magically rebounded to 29,000 in 2013. That seems a little unrealistic to me, but I would expect some amount of lost traffic due to the switch. Still, it seems to show that I’ve been trending in the right direction (Though this year seems to show a drop off for some reason).
Not that I’m in it for traffic or page views anymore. Now adays I’m content to just post my progress on things and give myself a frame of reference as to how much I’ve accomplished over the years. If other people like what I produce, that’s great, but it’s not why I’m in the game.
Background & Theme:
While I was monkeying around with things, I decided to take a look into mixing things up a bit with the theme, but didn’t really find anything I liked. In the end, the only change I made was to add a background image of my Tyranid army. It’s more personalized, but I honestly think that I liked the old image better. Not only was it smaller (and therefore should load faster), it blended in with the rest of the page so it looked seemless at different resolutions. The new image doesn’t look great on widescreen monitors, and it is definitely busy.
In short, it’s a bad design. I know that I should flip it back, but I think I’ll leave it up for a little while. That way, I’ll have a constant reminder to go back and re-evaluate the various design elements I have on the page.
So there you have it. It’s not exactly riveting content, but I figured it was worth documenting, just the same.