In case you haven’t noticed, I’m going through some of my archive drafts, dusting them off, and finally getting them out. This particular post was meant to go out at the beginning of the year, but I was overwhelmed by the Frugal gaming section. In order not to delay it anymore, I’m going to separate that into another post entirely.
I do like the idea of consolidating an entire hobby year in review into a single post though…
Frugal Gaming Update:
This section was supposed to be an update on Frugal Gaming, specifically reviewing the spending for 2014, but I’m going to push that to it’s own post.
Wow, a lot really has changed this year. Did 7th edition really come out halfway through, or am I imaging that? It seems like it’s been around a lot longer than that–then again, I’ve probably been complaining about the “new” Tyranid codex twice that long!
Despite complaining about it, it seems that I predominately play my bugs over my Ultramarines (which isn’t a big surprise, as I rare dust the boys in blue off anymore). What did surprise me is that I somehow managed to work in 12 games during the year. Now, that surely isn’t a lot to most gamers (and it’s honestly sporadic enough that I’m contemplating selling off everything I have, but that’s a topic for another post altogether). I am proud that I managed to get a whopping game in each month. While it probably doesn’t sound like much, it’s not a goal that I’m able to achieve every year, so my games played are probably up from last year.
To recap, these are the games I played in both 6th and 7th this year:
The fact that I played 25% of my games as Ultramarines seems high based upon my memory, but that’s why I write these things down. I won’t go into my win/loss ratio for the year, as that’s something I tend to look at over the course of an edition. The only other odd thing I notice is that I only managed to play in a single Apoc game.
I used to make it a point to try to host three apocalypse games per year, and also to go to other locally run events. Sadly, those games have largely fell by the wayside. I did learn that another is coming up in the near future, but I don’t think I’m going to be able to make it for fear of conflicts with vacation plans.
Over the year, I managed to get a fair bit of painting in, including:
While that list surely doesn’t rank me in the most prolific painters for the year, I’m amazed at how much I managed to accomplish. Hell, I’d be happy with just completing the buildings. I mean, it was a huge step in raising the quality of my games and it’d been sitting on a shelf for four years collecting dust. On top of that, I managed to do roughly a 1500 point Tyranid army and no less than four fortifications (technically five, but I still haven’t finished the write-up on my Fortress of Redemption, so that’ll count towards next year’s update).
On top of that, I really expanded my painting horizons and tried some things that I hadn’t really done before. Those steps included:
- Using an Airbrush (I’ve had one of these since the early 90’s and I never really got around to using this–can you believe that?!?)
- Object Source Lighting (OSL) Effects
- Stained Glass
- Salting to Create Rust
A part of me thought I had done my first Bronze, Patina, & Marbling effects this year as well, but it turns out that I first did them in 2013. Between the various statues, fortifications, and buildings though, I think my style has progressed quite a bit on them.
Clearly the army that I’ve neglected the most has been my imperials. It’s hard to believe I only painted a total of 17 figures for that army, and played just 3/12 games with them (including my one Apoc game). I really ought to get some more done on them.
I really don’t have all that much to add to this category, other than to say that I did come up with some new templates for status effect markers. Granted, it wasn’t an entirely original idea (I stole the concept for it from an ebay seller), but I’m proud that I came up with the designs myself.
It even inspired me to learn how to use Photoshop (at least a little bit)–which eventually lead to my Stained Glass Tutorial and even my Trygon Holes (which, even six months later have yet to be used). I’m far from mastering the product, but that is a skill that I’ve wanted to hone for nearly 20 years now, and it wasn’t until I had a few wild ideas in 40k that I made an attempt. I’m particularly proud of that.
Yeah, I’m fairly impressed at what I accomplished last year (except, of course, getting this post out before the end of the year). I am proud of what I accomplished though, and I’m looking forward to continuing in 2015 (or at least for the last 6 months of it)!