Sometime in December, I wound up painting up my whirlwind turrets. I don’t remember exactly when, but I do recall having recently completed a project (perhaps the Legion of the Damned?) and wanting something small and quick to paint to keep up my end-of-year efficiency.
So, I reached for these turrets. I thought that I had three of them, but apparently I was wrong, which made them paint about 33% faster!
There’s really not much to these, so they did go quick. I did run into a dilemma though. You see, the last time I really painted a vehicle for my Ultramarines army was probably my Ironclad dreadnought, back in 2009 (can that be right?). It’s either that or the rhinos I painted, but I don’t know when that happened, so it’s probably about right.
It appears that since that time, my color choices for the Ultramarines have drifted significantly. My highlighting of the blue has gotten a little more extreme, and the yellows have gone completely over the top. I used to paint them primarily orange and blend them up to bad moon yellow. Now, I almost completely remove the orange from the equation and take it up another step to some VMC yellow that’s almost a white. I think both look fine on their own, but it doesn’t run into a bit of a snag when my turrets are colored significantly different than the rhino chassis they’re on. Sadly, I didn’t take a picture of this, but I’m sure to make a post on this again in the future.
So, on that note, I’ll leave these as “finished,” and know that I might have to go back and darken those yellows (or perhaps lighten those on my rhinos). We’ll see if either of those ever happens…