I’ve now written three of these posts (including this one, the one about the flyers, and the one about the ‘vores) in which I keep meaning to talk about the basing, but I’ve just not managed to get around to it yet.
Not that the basing was anything spectacular, or radically different than what I normally do, but it was significant enough that I wanted to talk about it. For those that aren’t familiar with my style, I’ve already gone over how I base my models in this post, so I won’t rehash the whole thing here. Because I just wanted to be finished with the army, I wound up simplifying the steps involved. So, I’ve essentially gone through the same steps as listed in that post, but I skipped steps 3-5, and 8-10. That is to say, I didn’t include any slate/rocks on the bases, nor did I include logs or any of the various combat remnants that I have in the past. These bases are very basic.
Well, basic where I come from. They still involve a layer of rocks/sand, two types of static grass, a dabbling of leaves and an occasional dollop of snow. So that’s between 2-4 layers of stuff on each base, so it’s not all that basic. I really should’ve included some battlefield debris as I have in the past–especially on the larger models–but I have to say that I’m pleasantly surprised at how well they look despite their plainness. They also mix in great with the rest of the army, and only lower the debris count by a smidge in the grand scheme of things.
Another change on these bases to note is that I didn’t have any “extra coarse pumice stone” texture around, so I used what I had some “coarse pumice stone.” The differentiator there is the lack of the word “extra,” which really means that instead of really small gravel, I had something more akin to sand on my bases. I have to say, that I rather like that too (though there’s no way in hell I’m going back and redoing all of them to match).
The models in the lot are more of the same from what I’ve done earlier. Firstly it includes twenty more termagants with which to flesh out my green and pink ‘gant squads. You see, I originally only included 20 ‘gants in each squad (+2 with stranglewebs), so when GW upped the tax on Tervigons to require 30 gaunts in a squad, I didn’t have any that met the requirement. I know that I can mix and match weaponry in the existing rules, but I didn’t bother doing that, as I don’t see a huge advantage in doing so, and I suspect that this will eventually go away in later editions. I opted to go with the pink and green squads because those are the ones that had spinefists already, and though I had the option to either go with fleshborers or spinefists, I find that I prefer the ‘fists (though I don’t think there’s a significant difference/advantage to either).
The other model in this batch was a Ravener that I had converted up using parts of a “new” edition metal body combined with the head and tail from a second edition (or was it third?) “Red Terror.” You can read more about what into that conversion here. I feel like I rushed through the conversion, and have even gone so far as to call it a “hack job,” but despite that, I think he turned out the best of any of the models in this lot. The way that the stain built up on him is a bit of a marvel. The light areas are still quite light, while the dark recesses really pooled up well. All-in-all, this is the level of contrast that I want when I dip.
And the worst parts of the conversion? Those hacked up tiny claws and the part where the tails join? Well, the dip did a pretty good job of obscuring them. The claws are down at such an angle that they’re difficult to get a good look at from any normal viewing perspective, while the join on the tail looks almost like a flap of skin. Honestly, it didn’t turn out bad at all.
The best part though has to be that tail. Something about it left the very edge so pristine light colored, with the rest of the tail goes through varying degrees of contrast. The same effect happened on the carapace over his head and also on his scything talons to some extent, but it just doesn’t pop to me like it does on his tail.
Needless to say, I’m happy with this guy, and I hope to see him on the table soon in 7th edition.