As I stated last post, I finished dipping the rest of my ‘nids. What I didn’t mention is that the dipping happened on an errant Friday that I played hooky from work, and they were surprisingly dried by Saturday morning, so I wound up basing them that afternoon and sealing them on Sunday. In the span of three days I took time each day to work on hobby progress, and went from 31 models with a very plain base coat to fully finished models. It’s been a long time since I’ve been so productive, and it felt really good.
Over the next few weeks, I’ll be posting some of the finished shots of those 31 models (clumped into groups), so this is the first of a couple of installments (yes, I’m milking the content for blog posts).
So, these guys are magnetized so that their weapons are interchangeable, and they’re not glued to the flying stands. They also have magnets under their wings that allow the little spermy things (what are they called?) to attach/detach as necessary. I didn’t bother magnetizing the heads or anii (I’ve honestly no idea what the plural of “anus” is), because they seem to be more cosmetic than anything. Likewise, the wings and back spikes are fixed to the model–as the only advantage I could really see in magnetizing those would be for transportability. The magnets work pretty well, but now that all have been finished, I can see a problem.
The issue I now have is with the under-wing magnets and the spermy-thingies. I originally left the under-wing clips fully intact, and the missiles fit snuggling into the grooves. Now that stain has filled many of the recesses, the grooves are too tight to hold them and the magnets aren’t quite strong enough to hold the missiles firmly in place. That’s not to say I can’t get them to stay, but they’re fidgety and I’m guessing when the model is moving around the table, they’ll likely fall off. I’m not sure what I can really do about that now, as breaking off the little spikes seems to be about the only solution (or perhaps building it up with putty), but both of those mean that there will be some exposed/unpainted plastic and I’d have to figure out how to stain/paint those to match, so I don’t see either of them as likely to happen.
As for the stain, I think it worked relatively well–particularly so on the “scything talons” in the front of the model. The stain build-up on their backs doesn’t really thrill me though. I originally painted the stain on by hand (with the wings, there was just no way I was going to be able to dip them in a literal sense. As they were drying, they seemed a little light, so I brushed on an extra layer across their carapace. For some reason, that attempt didn’t seem to run down and pool as much as it did in previous large bugs, so it left them with an overall darker feel. I also wasn’t able to get the brush in under some of the back spikes, so there are a few areas on them beneath those spikes that have some abrupt color shifts from light to dark. So no, it’s not my best work, but for such little effort, I can’t really complain. I think they look pretty good and certainly match the rest of my bugs.
These particular bases I didn’t work on that weekend. They’re actually just the bases from my old “coiled carnifexes” (from back when I used them as Tervigons–before I owned those models). That’s why you see the pistachio shells–err.. I mean eggs–on the bases.
Anywho, I don’t really have that much else to say about these guys, so I’ll just leave a few more thumbnails of pictures I took of them. As always, feel free to click them to see larger versions of each.