Ok, so the title of this post really has nothing to do with the actual content (except the last section, which I included so I could figure out just what this post was about when I look back upon it).
So, as you’ve surely glimpsed by now, this is a post about finally getting around to dipping my ‘nids. It’s a bit of a chore to do, and involves covering a good section of my garage off in visqueen (that sheer plastic stuff you see). That’s because it’s a really messy ordeal that requires me to dip the model (And often much of my hand) into polyurethane and then violently flick the excess off. While I don’t believe it’s toxic (though I wouldn’t recommend ingesting it), it’s super sticky and a pain to clean off of anything.
As I was prepping the garage–taping up those clear tarps everywhere–I was reminded of the scene from “Snatch” where they spoke of (and then eventually implemented) methods of disposing bodies involving starving pigs. If you haven’t seen that movie, I’d recommend it–but as this isn’t a movie review blog, we’ll leave it at that.
Anywho, preparations involved more than just the visqueen. I also crafted another stand using the better part of two 2x4s and some leftover nails (to hang/dry the various magnetized bits on), acquiring a few leftover boxes from work (this was actually done months ago, and these boxes have just been taking up space in the garage all winter–so I’m glad to finally be rid of them), and finding suitable clothes that can be thrown out once I was finished (which included a pair of plaid golf shorts, a stocking cap from one of my employer’s competitors, and a long sleeve t-shirt which had been “altered” to fit as part of my Halloween costume from last year (I went as RG3, for those that are wondering).
Once all of the necessary precautions had been taken, I got straight to dipping. I won’t go into too much detail, as I’ve talked about the particulars in previous posts. One thing worth mentioning is that I figured out what went wrong when I last dipped Tyranids (or at least I think I’ve figured it out). After dipping, the last batch just didn’t quite look right. They looked too glossy, and the seal never quite hardened, so even after a few days they were tacky to the touch. My resolution for that was to seal them with a matt finish, but they looked entirely too flat–so I went back and hit them with a gloss finish, and that didn’t look right either.
What I believe happened is that I used the wrong stain. In my posts, I never really clearly stated what the product I use is–I thought I did, but apparently I didn’t. The product that I actually use is “Minwax Polyshades Stain & Polyurethane in 1 Step – Antique Walnut Satin 340.” I’ve always referred to it as Antique Walnut, but didn’t know that they actually make two different finishes. There’s also a silver can that is a high gloss finish–which is apparently what I used last time. I must’ve thought that they just had new packaging, and mistakenly bought the wrong type. I’m happy to say that this turned out just as I’d expected, and after these models dried, I went back to the store and bought a can of clear satin spraypaint and resealed the old bugs. They don’t look perfect, but they’re a much better match now.
Anywho, in the dipping process, I managed to do the following models:
- 3x Hauraspex/Exocrines
- 20x Termagants
- 2x Harpies/Hive Crones
- 3x Pyrovores
- 2x Biovores
- 1x Ravener (Red Terror)
I also worked in a bunch of spare bits. I don’t think this will be an exhaustive list, but here goes:
- All of the bits for the above kits (interchangeable heads/arms/etc)
- 1x Pair of Hive Tyrant Wings
- 3x Pairs of Scything Talons
- 9x Pairs of Rending Claws
- 6x Devourers
- 3x Pairs of Crushing Claws (Hive Guard)
- 3x Pairs of Rending Claws (Hive Guard)
So, I left these out to dry over night, and went back and checked on them the next day. But I’ll save that information for another post.
As always, the pictures here are just thumbnails, so feel free to click on any of them to enlarge them.