Obviously, I’m a bit of an addict when it comes to Tyranids (if you don’t believe me, check out this post). It also seems like an eventuality that I’ll order some of the new Tyranids when they’re released this month. I’ve gone so far as to tally up what I want, and have almost placed the order.
For the record, my wants list is:
- 1x Codex
- 2x Harpy/Hive Crone
- 2x Haruspex/Exocrine
- 1x Tyranid Psychic Cards
That’s it. Frankly, it doesn’t much matter if the new units are even bad, as I like to have a lot of variety in choosing my lists (unless they’re pyrovore bad, mind you). If they’re particularly good, I could see myself possibly even buying one more of each of the Harpy/Exocrine (which will, naturally, be magnetized so I can run either option). Based upon the rumors, it’s also possible that I’d buy a handful of gaunts to add to my force as well (if it really takes a squad of 30 to unlock a Tervigon—I only have squads of 22 now).
But I’ve just now decided that I won’t be pre-ordering anything.
Really, the only incentive to do so, is to ensure that you get them as quickly as possible—which is absurd for me, based upon the fact that I play a game every 5-6 weeks on average (based upon last year’s numbers). Besides, I’ll wind up purchasing them from thewarstore, so there’s already a delay injected into the process.
The one thing I’d like to have sooner, rather than later, is a copy of the Codex. So, it’s possible that I might wander over to the “local” hobby store and pick that up ahead of time. I know I should support the local store, but frankly, it’s 21 miles from my house, so it really isn’t all that local to me.
Anywho, I do intend to do some write-ups on the codex, as I did with the 5th edition Tyranid book, but that will have to wait until I get my copy of the ‘dex. I’d expect it before too too long though…
Hopefully the actual book doesn’t come out as dour as the rumors are making it to be. Some of the things I’d love to see in the new book are:
- Cost of MC’s come down (lots of rumors on this)
- Survivability of MC’s to go up (better armor, invulnerable saves or toughness)
- Spread out the Elites
- Deal with the weirdness of tyranid exclusions (no allies, no firing fortifications, etc.)
- Make some of the really bad units playable (pyrovores, hormagaunts, rippers, shrikes).
The rumors thus far that seem bothersome include:
- Possibly losing Biomancy (OUCH!)
- Ymgarls losing first turn charge (or not existing (or possibly gone completely)
- Requiring full 30/32 man termagant squads to make Tervigons troops (only because my squads are 22 man strong)
- Rippers going up in price seems to dramatically decrease the chance they’ll ever see play (not that they ever do).
- Loss of Parasite of Mortrex (I actually had a model for this) — but not a big deal
- Rumors of a loss of attacks for many models across the board
Still, they’re only rumors at this time, so I’ll take them with a grain of salt. There are also some reasonably good ones about as well. I guess we’ll see this weekend when the blogosphere goes nuts with confirmations…