Hobby progress has been relatively slow as of late. I often chalk this up to “real life” getting in the way (which it does–quite often, in fact), but the sad truth is I’ve had a spell of “painters block.” This has really spawned from wanting to paint things, but not knowing how I should begin. From my city fight buildings (which I’m debating color scheme on) to my various fortifications (which I can’t seem to get the right paint consistency for my airbrush), I’m at self-imposed impasses. Instead of progressing there, I find myself rabbit-trailing into other projects.
This week’s project: Legion of the Damned.
These are a unit that I’ve been fond of since they were originally released in 2nd edition. Frankly though, who isn’t? They’re covered in skulls and flames. The fact that their lore is tied in strongly with the Ultramarines Chapter is just icing on the cake.
- 8x Marines w/ Bolters
- 1x Marine with Special Weapon
- 2x Marine Sergeants
- 5x Heavy Weapon Marines
The plan is to run them as one squad with several options, but with 16 total marines, I s’pose I could very easily run them as two squads in a pinch. If you’re wondering why there’s so much variety, there’s a reason. The five heavy weapon marines are because I had the weapons lying around and love to have options. Normally, I only want two per squad, but I figured I’d give myself some variety here (c’mon, they’re cool looking). The sarges are because I have an original Centurius model, but the one that comes in the boxed set is too cool looking not to use.
Since everyone knows how cool looking the normal models are, I figured I wouldn’t focus on them. This is just a post to throw up the conversions I did (relatively minor swaps) and what bits I used. You’ll find pictures of each marine scattered through this post.
- Special Weapon Marine: This isn’t anything terribly fancy. I just took the flamer marine, chopped off his weapon and magnetized his arm. His gun is now completely interchangeable with the rest of my ultramarines.
- Bone Backpack: Again, nothing fancy here. I just happened to have a spare backpack off Canis Wolfborn and thought it looked suitable for one of these guys. So, a little drilling and gluing, and voila!
- Plasma Canon: This is a new LotD body (though I’m not certain exactly which one) with some random blood angels shoulderpads I had lying around (remnants of a purchase from last year). I believe the head is from Maxmini, and the gun itself is just a plastic (gasp) devastator arm.
- Lascannon: This is a bad conversion, simply because I had the bits available. I wouldn’t be too surprised if I pull it apart before it ever sees paint…
- Centurius: The only conversion here is that I drilled a magnet into his back so that he could switch squad leader positions with the default model. I figure this way I can use a cool, old model, and have an option in case I don’t want a power weapon.
- Missile Launcher: This is by far my favorite of the lot. Again, nothing terribly fancy, and I think I love it the most because I started with the coolest looking base mini. It’s the LotD sarge with a spare flamer backpack (why not), and a “chaplain” style bit from Maxmini for the shoulder. I expect this guy to see a fair bit of table time, based solely upon how cool he looks.
By the way, if you’re interested in buying some Legion models, I have two squads worth for sale on ebay:
- Legion of the Damned base squad (includes sarge & multi-melta).
- Legion of the Squad (misc models & bits).
Of course, there are a ton of other auctions available as well including a bunch of Marines, Chaos, Daemons, and even some Eldar & WHFB stuff, so feel free to check out the rest of my auctions by clicking the link below: