It’s been a slow few months along the blog, but that’s mostly because it’s been really slow hobby time for me. Since the last post, I’ve had some friends over on two occasions and we’ve managed to squeeze in a game of Power Grid, a game of Ticket to Ride (Switzerland) and a game of Castle Risk. Not exactly the sort of compelling thing that inspires blog entries.
One thing I can write about is that the Eldar auctions I posted last month have officially closed and everyone has received their stuff (or at least the positive feedback has started rolling in, and nobody has claimed that they haven’t received their stuff…). So, with that, I figured I’d break down the profit/loss on that particular purchase:
In total, they sold for a total of $856.75, which—by my earlier calculations—is about 52% of retail value. With the recent hype based upon the release of the Eldar book (and the fact that the models haven’t changed), I would’ve hoped for more, but I can’t complain too much because I bought them for $300 back in April. That means I’ll have certainly made a profit.
Let’s check our fees. Ebay charged me a listing fee of $.45 per auction ($13.05 total for 29 auctions) and a total final value fee of $98.60 (so that’s 11.5%–which is higher than I remember Ebay stating they charge). In total, I collected an extra $123.30 in shipping fees. After that, Paypal also got it’s cut of $34.57, and the good ol’ USPS collected XXXX +$19. So, to break it down cleanly:
$856.75 (final sale price)
+$123.30 (shipping fees collected)
-$300 (original purchase price)
-$111.65 (ebay fees)
-$34.57 (Paypal fees)
-$ 94.20 (USPS Fees)
$439.63 Total profit
In total, that’s not bad. Things I can learn from this particular round of auctions:
- Eldar don’t sell as well as I thought they would. Total sales were barely over 51% of MSRP—though I guess my goal is always to make 60% of retail, and the total auctions closed at 59.2% if you include the cost of shipping and remove any fees—so that’s not bad.
- Raising my shipping fees from my normal “$5 per auction” by just $1 proved to be enough to cover shipping charges. I think this was largely because I didn’t bother to put message tracking on every package. Still, it was nice not to lose money on this for a change (though $29 isn’t exactly raking it in, so I don’t feel like I’m gouging anyone)
- I collected 59.2% of MSRP and paid out 14% of MSRP in various fees. If this is a metric that holds true for future auctions, that would mean the absolute highest I could afford to pay for anything would be about 45% of retail. Still, that leaves no profit in it for me. That might give me a gauge to use in the future when buying armies though. It would be interesting to see how well the numbers hold up over time and across various armies.
Oh well, time to add this to my Frugal Gaming totals for the year (Which are out of date, I’m afraid to say), and call this a success. Hopefully I’ll be able to actually get some hobby time in one way or the other, and start updating again on a semi-regular basis. Wish me luck…
Rolling Stones “Aftermath” photo copyright by the Stones… I guess