In an attempt to ensure that I don’t violate my Frugal Gaming Goals for 2013, I figured I’d start this year off with a bang of MtG sales. These would help me cover any expenditures I’d have over the year plus they’d help my historical numbers for MtG spent vs. saved (those numbers looked pretty abysmal last year).
Anywho, after piecing together any expensive cards that I had lying around not in use, I threw them up on Ebay. And these were the results for my first set of auctions:
- $729 (Total Sales)
- -$81.11 (Ebay Fees)
- -$27.74 (Paypal Fees)
- -$11.97 (Packaging Supplies)
- -$29.28 (USPS Shipping)
- $579.82 Sales
In total, I actually charged people $46.25 in shipping (well, it was $5 higher than that, but when I found out how cheaply I was able to send an item to Japan, I wound up refunding that to the buyer). Ironically, that total is $5 higher than the total of the packaging supplies + USPS shipping. Of course, Ebay took it’s standard 9% cut and Paypal took it’s cut (which I originally thought was 3%, but it turns out that it’s somewhat variable and never seemingly that low). In actuality, 12% of $41.25 comes out to $4.95, which entirely eats up any profit I’d made for shipping. So, I finally managed to find the sweet spot for shipping costs…
Well, I did well enough in that first batch of auctions that I decided to sell more MtG stuff I’ve been sitting on for years. After the second round, I did a comparable amount in total sales:
- $678.36 (Total Sales)
- -$81.11 (Ebay Fees)
- -$22.21 (Paypal Fees)
- -$0 (Packaging Supplies)
- -$50.10 (USPS Shipping)
- $524.94 Sales
The bulk of these sales were in packs of Unglued. I had purchased them years ago for $80 per box (2 boxes total). I wound up opening half the packs out of one of the box, and selling the remainder to cover the cost of that box. The other (sealed) box sold for $280! While that might not seem like an absolutely fantabulous deal, the fact that the only cards in the set that are worth anything are basic land bewilders me.
That aside, packaging fees weren’t included because I used leftovers from the first MtG auctions and the last set of 40k auctions I’d done last year. Shipping though was a definitely bomb. I had only charged half that in actual shipping costs (drastically underrating the cost of shipping that much paper). In a couple of instances, I would’ve been far better off shipping in flat rate boxes, but I guess you live and learn.
Whatever the case, I can’t complain too much about netting $1100 in sales. That should make my 2013 Frugality goals that much easier to stick to!