If you’ve been reading the blog lately, you’ll remember that I had painted the statues from the “Honoured Imperium” boxed set as practice for my painting the statues I’d added to my bastions. Well, far be it from me to complete a project without being distracted by something else…
This time, I had ordered bases in January to finally mount some of my Ultramarines to. These guys have been sitting around for ages without bases and have been banished to my storage cabinet until I can properly finish them. Last year, Cole had come over and thumbed through my stuff wondering why he’d never seen that. One guilt trip later and I’d decided to buy new bases. Since they’d finally come in, and I’d recently opened this boxed set to paint the statues, I figured why not paint these up as well.
There’s nothing fancy here. It’s just a wetbrush of brown on the dirty areas, with some progressive black-to-white drybrushes on all of the stone, plus a few dabs of bone/white on the skulls. I then hit it liberally with several coats of matt varnish (but I didn’t use John’s suggestion about using the gloss varnish first–but to be fair, these were painted before he’d recommended that).
The pictures display the new pieces next to one of the statues (I’m still infatuated with that marble, for the record), as well as a single aquilla by itself.
With this painted up, I just had to do up the bases (both for the Ultramarines, and the recently painted Tyranids). As of the time I wrote this, that has also been completed, but I’ll leave that for another post.
Anywho, happy President’s Day to everyone. Hopefully you’ve managed to get the day off–otherwise, you can live vicariously through me!