Years ago, I stumbled upon a post over at Santa Cruz Warhammer that gave some pretty nifty ideas for making “vehicle destroyed” markers. The idea is that when a vehicle is wrecked/destroyed, it should generally stay on the table, but needs a suitable way of remembering that it’s really unusable. Their solution was to make flaming smoke piles with Halloween candles.
Halloween has come and gone, and I didn’t think to pick up any of those flameless candles back when they were cheap; however, my brother-in-law was goodly enough to get married recently, and their chief decorating motif was with these battery powered devices. Naturally, I commandeered as many as possible at the end of the event. They’ll serve to light up the fake pumpkins I’ve carved throughout the years (including a Tyranid hormagaunt and a my demonic baby fetus), but the spares went to making some of these nifty spoke objectives.
I didn’t have any painted vehicles handy when I was taking pictures, but you should get the idea from what you see. In total, I made a little over a dozen of these things. Since I got the candles for free, and already had a bunch of glue sticks (for the record, this only took one), I only had to pay for a bag of “christmas snow,” which came to $3.99. Sadly, I didn’t use even a 16th of that total bag though, so the total investment should be something more like $1.