I’m sure if you look at the pictures, you might be a little confused, as some of them look suspiciously like Tyrannofexes instead of Tervies; however, if you’re a follower of this blog, you likely realize how enamoured I am with magnetizing every option possible in a kit. That way I can purchase / paint fewer models and still field basically anything I want to in the codex.
It used to be that I would purchase the maximum number of models I could field in a FoC. That way, no matter what I wanted to field, I knew that I had it. It seemed like a great idea, and with the crazy deals I seem to find, cost wasn’t a huge factor, but there was just no way I was going to be able to paint all of those. Nowadays, I tend to buy the maximum that I’d ever realistically field. So, while it is possible to field 5 Tervigons and 3 Tyrannofexes in a game (or heck, 10 Tervigons & 6 Tyrannofexes in a 2000+ point 6th edition game), I just wouldn’t do that (or at least more than once). And there’s no sense in buying models just to field them once.
Anywho, so I have three total Tervigons here, each painted up with seperate squad markings (well, two were painted differently and one was left plain. I know that I’ll never field these in squads (well, perhaps in 7th edition), but I like having each one looking distinct. That way, if someone asks me which one is which, I can say “the pink one has <random psychic power.” So, while not strictly necessary, I think it makes things a little easier for both me and my opponent–plus it helps tie them in with all of the little colored squads I have already.
For squad markings, you’ll see that I didn’t use the same striped pattern that I used on my termagants, but rather used a splotchy design that I implemented with the Hierophant (though it’s really only noticable from the back, and slightly from the side). I kind of wish I’d used the same method on the smaller bugs as well to make the army more uniform, but I think it works out alright as is, as I’ve only painted the really large bugs with this pattern. Of course, I did paint my venomthropes with a lightning bolt design for some reason… not sure what was going through my head at that time.
Enough tangents though. You’ll see that I painted up every weapon variant available to both the ‘fex and the Tervigon, despite some of them being subpar. The reason I did this is because you never know what will become good in the future, either by shifts in the metagame, or with the release of a new rulebook or codex. Besides, I don’t always run my models with what’s considered the “optimal” configuration, as each tends to have some value–if only looking cool.
It’s really a plain scheme, but with the stain, it seems to really produce some great results. (Forgive me for tooting my own horn). There’re only a couple of parts that got some extra little touches, including some really slight blue washes over the egg sacs where you could see termagant heads poking out. I hope that it’s not too subtle and isn’t covered up completely by the stain–but even if it does, I didn’t spend that much time adding that touch.
The other arms don’t have anything fancy, but the scheme is so basic that it lends for some solid contrast. Whereas I normally use blue/bone exclusively and red for particularly fleshy bits/guns, I also threw in a fair bit of pink/green for the egg sacs and other gooey chunks. In the end, I really like how the red stands out against the blue/bone, and think these guys will look lovely when dipped.
If you’re wondering how I magnetized these guys, you can check out this post. Really though, there’s nothing terribly earth shattering there–just “rare earth” magnets and a little putty here and there.
Anywho, that’s all for now. There are some more pictures/thumbnails below. As always, you should be able to click on any of the pictures to see a larger format. Thanks for dropping by!