In my Frugal Gaming 2012 documentation for April, I noted that I’d purchased “Forgeworld Nurgle Arms, Miotic Sacs, & spare resin bits.” Though I don’t always go into great detail on everything on the Frugal list, I was intentionally vague on these particular items because I suspected there might be some copyright infringement.
The first reason to suspect it, is because I got the name of the company from this BoLS article about Chinese counterfeitingof Forgeworld products. Now, I don’t frequent BoLS on a daily basis (or even a weekly basis most of the time), so it did take me a while to find this article, and when I did, I sat on it before doing anything. By the time I got around to checking it out, the article had been scrubbed of all references to the actual site name (presumably to avoid the wrath of GW), but with a little elbow grease (and digging on BoLS’ forum), I was able to discern the site in question was miniatureshobby.com.
Sure enough, the site looked legitimate enough, carrying a full line of models (not exclusively forgeworld products), and they only claimed to have a limited stock of each. So, it’s theoretically possible that they were legitimate—but as they were in Hong Kong (and have since been shut down), I’m guessing they weren’t.
The products I’d purchased were:
- 1 x FW-08 MIEOTIC SPORE SACKS x 3 (FW-08) = $13.00
- 2 x FW-70 ULTRAMARINES TERMINATOR SHOULDER PADS (FW-70) = $10.00
- 2 x FW-42 DEATH GUARD DREADNOUGHT CHAINFIST (LEFT ARM) (FW-42) = $9.60
- 2 x FW-41 DEATH GUARD DREADNOUGHT LASCANNONS (RIGHT ARM) (FW-41) = $9.60
- 2 x AT-07 28mm Scale Resin kit human skull x 15 (AT-07) = $3.00
- 1 x AT-03 28mm Scale Resin kit banners x 3 (AT-03) = $2.50
- 2 x AT-01 28mm Scale Resin kit human skull x 20 (AT-01) = $3.00
- 2 x AT-08 28mm Scale Resin kit human skull x 10 (AT-08) = $3.00
The first four line items are all forgeworld (or equivalents) products, while the last are various basing bits (though they could just as well be casts of models from other companies). The real question is what was the cost savings to go with the Chinese company.
- Mieotic Spore Sacs: £13.00 ($20.22) = $20.22
- Ultramarines Terminator Shoulders £8.50 ($13.22) x 2 = 26.44
- Death Guard Dreadnought Arms: £7.50 ($11.66) x4 = 46.64
Total Forgeworld Price: $93.30. Total China Price: $42.20. So roughly, half price (including free shipping).
Realistically, I thought it was actually cheaper than that. At these rates, it really wasn’t worth the risk of farming out a purchase to China (which can be quite a game sometimes), or supporting the violation of GW’s IP.
For those that were interested, the quality of the models was surprisingly high (on par with stuff I’ve received from Forgeworld), but is 50% off worth it? Obviously, I must’ve thought so originally (as did enough other people to attract GW’s attention in order to get them shut down), but in hindsight, I’m not so sure.
What do you think?