Though I’ve yet to play a game of 6th edition, modelling progress is still coming slow and steady. Last month, I posted a pic of a bunch of primed bugs, and I’m happy to say that theyr’e almost all painted. I finished painting the magnetized tervigons (though for some reason, I haven’t yet taken any pictures of them), and now I’ve completed the termagants of the lot.
I wanted to refer those back to my previously painted termies, but it appears that I’ve been remiss in taking pictures of my completed works (or at least posting them online). Last month, I had 6 “squads” of termagants that were painted. I use the term loosely because some of the “squads” were just two models though. Each squad includes two classic models armed with stranglewebs (because I had them, and why not), along with (what should be) 20 guys with guns. Due to a shortage of models, not all squads were 20 strong when I originally painted them up. What I recall having were:
- Plain squad – 20 termagants w/ fleshborers + 2 stranglewebs
- Blue squad – 20 termagants w/ fleshborers + 2 stranglewebs
- Pink squad – 20 termagants w/ fleshborers + 2 stranglewebs
- Orange squad – 17 termagants w/ fleshborers + 2 stranglewebs
- Green squad – 13 termagants w/ spinefists + 2 stranglewebs
- Yellow squad – 2 stranglewebs
After picking up some cheap Tyranids earlier this year, I decided to fill out the orange squad and add 20 termagants w/ devourers to the yellow squad, thereby completing two more units. For some reason, I didn’t bother to go through my bits box to see if I could complete 7 more models with spinefists to just complete all my termagants though–not sure what I was thinking. I should probably do that before I go dip these guys.
Anywho, what you see is 23 painted termies, including three “orange” models with fleshborers, and 20 “yellow” models with devourers. These really took far longer than they should’ve, and I blame my wife for that. Typically, my gaunts are just blue, bone, with a splash of red/white/pink for eyes/teeth/tongues. Since I’d painted the devourers red on all of my larger bugs, I asked the wife if she thought it was fine to leave them blue, or paint them red. Naturally, she opted for the option that included more work for me.
I think the red really pops in the end result (which should look fairly fantastic after dipping), but four coats of red on every model almost doubled the amount of effort that went into each figure. Granted, we’re not talking about alot of work even with that included, but I’m a particularly lazy kind of guy, and this was supposed to be my “quick paint” army.
Either way, I’m glad to see these guys done. This leaves, 2x malenthropes, a “lictor” and, some meotic spores left to paint in order to “finish” my tyranids. Well, that and 7 more termies (if I can find them…).