A month ago today, I posted my first WIP status update on my Imperial Guard (lovingly entitled the Ultramar PDF–or planetary defense force). It really seems like I’ve been at it much longer than that, but keeping track of progress is a big reason why I started this blog in the first place.
Despite the overwhelming number of models (105 for those who are keeping score), it didn’t seem like a chore because of the way I wind up painting. Yes, I painted them as one giant assembly line, but when I got bored of painting, I simply set the models down and came back to them when I felt like it. Due to my lackadaisical methodology, I’m quite surprised that I’m this close to finishing in just a single month.
For progress this status update, I’ve managed to:
- Paint their skin tones (mostly with Dwarf Flesh base, a Chestnut Wash, and then highlights with Elf Flesh. My more nubian brothers started with Scorched Brown as a base, with Bestial Brown highlights. Granted, with so many out there, I played around with those schemes, substituting other colors as I felt like it.
- Yellow Aquillas. These started with a Blazing Orange basecoat, and received a highlight of Sunburst Yellow. For my marines I typically also add a layer of Bad Moon Yellow between those, but these were so small and plentiful, that I just skipped that step.
So, left to do are the boots (which are already black, but have unsightly splash marks where I went sloppy with the fatigues), and assorted piece/parts that are unique to specific models. This includes things like hair on the sarges, staining the end of flamer barrels, etc. If I feel particularly giddy, I might even throw eyeballs on each guy.
But that, is for another post…