More than a year after the Tyranid codex was released, we’re still lacking an official GW option for Tyranid boneswords. Rumor has it GW will be releasing a “direct only” option for warriors, but that still leaves the Swarmlord out on his own. Since they’re a great addition to any Tyranid force (and a must if you want to field a Swarmlord), here is a list of alternative places where you can buy them online:
- Chapterhouse Studios
- Paulson Games
- Secret Weapon Miniatures
- Maxmini’s “Bioswords” (for Swarmlords and other monstrous creatures)
- Old School Terminator also pointed out an alternative from a company simply called “Mrs. Velrad” but I haven’t seen them available through her ebay store.
Of the list, I’ve only used the ones by Paulson games, so I can’t speak to the quality of most of them. I have ordered items from maxmini before though, and can attest to the overall quality of their work, but otherwise, I’d recommend the options from Paulson. For examples of completed works, you can see pics of my Swarmlord and Tyranid Primes (aka Alpha Warriors), or my overall review of the swords from Paulson games here.
Granted, not everyone will have the luxury of going out and buying these bits, or perhaps you just prefer a different overall look than those provided above. For this reason I’ve prodded around and found some nifty conversions online. If you’re looking for ideas, look no farther than:
- Tyranid Warriors at Bell of Lost Souls using other bits from the Warrior boxed set
- Faolain’s Swarmlord (Scratchbuild)
- Hive Fleet Moloch’s “Uber Tyrant” (heavily modified MC arms)
- Sonik’s warriors with conversions based on Spine Fists & Ogre Swords
- Captain Jack’s Swarmlord based on scything talons and plasticard
- Yaro’s version for both scales using existing Tyranid arms
- Eastern Heretic has a simple solution of just carving down existing guns
- Some great warrior swords (along with whips and other creatures) over at Resin Addict
I’m quite fond of the BoLS lashwhip options, and the high-detailed sculpts over at resin addict, but all of them are great in their own way. Some of them are so beautifully simple, that they can be made with existing parts you have lying around, without much effort, and to great effect. There are truly a ton of creative people out there.
If you, or anyone else you know, has another alternative somewhere, and would like to be listed here, please let me know. I’d love to see them, and to have a more complete list of bonesword alternatives. Just leave a comment and I’ll get back with you promptly.
Last Minute Update: If you’re interested in purchased options, you should probably get on them quickly before GW swings their hammer and closes your favorite shop down. Rumor from BoLS is that GW is taking both Chapterhouse & Paulson Games to court over their products (at least I assume this is the Paulson they’re referring to, the actual complaint is here). Long story short, don’t be too surprised if the market on these items dries up rather quickly. I can’t say as I’m too surprised by the recent turn of events though, given GW’s history of litigation and Chapterhouse playing with fire.. who could’ve possibly seen this coming…
Japanese bone hilted shortsword (and scabbard) image from The Canterbury Auction Galleries.