Yesterday, I posted a battle report of a 500 point army for an upcoming tournament in my local area (if you’re interested in said tourney, you can read more here), which broke all sorts of rules. So, I thought about it and wondered what sort of list would work well in that format.
Over the next month, I’m going to take some of the down days where I normally wouldn’t post to put up some possible 500 point army lists for use in that tourny. Not all will be great: some will be strictly for fun, and some designed to win. Ultimately, the goal of this exercise will be to create a smallish brainstorming session. So, if you feel so inclined, please feel free to chime in with suggestions, or even lists of your own. If nobody has any input, I still think this exercise is valuable in that it gets my creative juices flowing…
So, no army list today, this is just a teaser for things to come. So everyone’s aware, the rules for composition are as follows:
- Create an army of no more than 500 points.
- The Warhammer 40,000 5th Edition Rules will be used.
- You must have one Troops choice.
- You may include a single HQ choice, but no more than one.
- If you take no HQ choice, you must nominate a figure as your army’s Commander.
- Armies are not required to take mandatory unit choices. All other unit restrictions (i.e. 0-1) apply.
- You may spend remaining points on anything else in the codex.
- No model can have more than 2 Wounds (except models with Swarm universal special rule).
- Psykers may be used, but may NOT use any power requiring a psychic test.
- No model can have a 2+ save.
- No Special/Unique/Named Characters are allowed.
- The ‘What You See Is What You Get’ (WYSIWYG) rule is in effect. That means all units must be easily identifiable as the particular codex choice they represent and that any and all weapons/options taken for a unit must be clearly represented on the model(s).
- At a minimum, all models must be painted with at least three colors, with bases painted.
- Vehicles cannot have a total armor value greater than 33. Calculate this by adding the Front, Side and Rear armor values (only count the side once).
- No Ordnance weapons.
Since everything has to be WYSIWYG as well as painted, my only real viable army to play is Ultramarines (or counts as for another Space Marine chapter) or Tyranids. While I could potentially paint and field enough Chaos, Eldar, Daemons, or even IG, there’s just no practical way that I could get them painted in time. So, though I’ll be posting lists for most (if not every) army, many of them I have no intention of ever fielding. Again, it’s just to get me to thinking…